Proposal to Form a Community Advisory Committee
After hearing Levy staff outline the proposal to create a community advisory committee and a summary of stakeholder feedback on the proposal, the Allocation Committee (AC) decided against taking a vote on the proposal in its current form.
While there was general support from the AC and stakeholders surveyed to form a community advisory committee, AC members and stakeholders asked for more clarity on the roles and powers of the proposed committee in competitive funding processes.
Levy staff will use the questions and feedback generated in the meeting, along with further consultation with stakeholders, to revise the proposal for the AC to review in December.
Discussion on Levy Support for Older Youth
Following a review of past resource allocation policies and data on age groups served in Levy-funded programming, AC chair and City Commissioner Dan Ryan led a discussion on the possibility of increasing Levy support for youth aged 18-24. AC member Mitch Hornecker voiced support for further exploring this idea as a way to prevent adult homelessness. Commissioner Ryan noted that there was ample time to explore this issue before the Levy will go before voters for renewal sometime in 2023, and that he will continue the discussion in future meetings.
Financial Update for FY 2020-21
Staff presented a summary of the budget to actual spending on program grants in Financial Year 2020-21. Grant spending for the first of three grant years was 84% of the budget. Levy staff expects the majority of unspent funds will be carried over into current fiscal year budgets and will provide an update after all current year budgets are finalized.
Update on Grantee Convenings
Staff shared some highlights of grantee convenings to date and plans for fall:
- After school program grantee partners met in August to prioritize how to use the convening time to meet their needs, consider training and technical assistance options PCL could provide, and discuss fall program planning with colleagues.
- Child abuse prevention/intervention grantee partners convened for the first time this month. Grantees spent time getting to know each other’s programs, including eligibility requirements and referral information.
- Small Grants Fund grantee partners have convened twice so far with additional convenings planned for fall to focus on training for grantees on supporting Black, Indigenous and youth of color with disabilities.
- Foster care grantee partners have been convening regularly and will meet again this month to focus on sharing their work and best practices.
- Convenings for mentoring, hunger relief and early childhood grantee partners are planned for later this fall.
Miss Tuesday's Meeting?
Watch it on the YouTube here or on CityNet Xfinity Channel 30 and 330 at 8:30 pm on Tuesday, 09-21-2021 or 6 p.m. on 09-24-2021. You can also view the slide deck for all presentations here.
Join Us of the Next Allocation Committee Meeting
Our next meeting will be on December 14, 2021 from 3:00pm to 5:00pm. Agendas will be sent to our email list, shared on our social media channels and posted here on our website.
We welcome your comment on the work of the Portland Children’s Levy. If you would like to join the next meeting to participate, please stay tuned for the next meeting invite.